Monday, December 12, 2011

I Can See It In The Milky Way

THE MILKY WAY

Released: February 7, 1936
Directed: Leo McCarey
Starring: Harold Lloyd, Adolphe Menjou

Burleigh Sullivan (Harold Lloyd) is an shy and inept milkman. His sister, Mae (Helen Mack), is harassed by a drunken Speed McFarlan (William Gargan), the middleweight champ of the world, and his bodyguard/sidekick Spider Schultz (Lionel Stander). Burleigh attempts to stop them which results in Speed being knocked out. Speed's manager, Gabby Sloan (Adolphe Menjou), is terribly upset by this, especially when they see the small fellow that is Burleigh. He informs them that he didn't knock out Speed; Spider did. Burleigh then tells them how as a child he was always picked on so he learned how to dodge, bob, and weave. It's all in the footwork. Gabby gets an idea to make him a boxer but Burleigh refuses. Unfortunately, Burleigh gets fired from his job over his horse, Agnes. He needs the money and decides to take up boxing much to the dismay of his sister and girlfriend.
MILKY WAY was Harold Lloyd's most successful talkie. It has several funny bits, but I felt it relied more on dialogue from Lloyd, than actual action. You're a silent star Lloyd, don't try the talking business. Of course, I haven't seen much of Lloyd's work other than GRANDMA'S BOY. I suppose I like the idea of silent stars sticking to their element. In the world of sound, words don't have to be the cause, but the result. Anyways... this film is rather entertaining. However, having seen the 1946 remake, THE KID FROM BROOKLYN, starring Danny Kaye, I knew what was going to happen. I also found the remake far superior. Maybe it's my inevitable love for Kaye, or perhaps it's because I felt Lloyd could do better. Either way, they're both good films, but while this version ties the knots, the remake shows you how it was done. In other words, the story makes much more sense. Now I'm just rambling.

I'm delivering grade A milk, for better babies!
LW

No comments:

Post a Comment